- European governments must decide when and how to protect Syrian refugees who are voluntarily returning home
- They should do so using their remaining levers of influence in Syria, in line with European interests and UNHCR protection parameters.
- European engagement on voluntary refugee returns should be limited, cautious, and conditional.
- Europe must work with Middle Eastern host countries to prevent forced refugee returns.
- European governments must talk to all relevant stakeholders in the Syrian conflict, particularly Russia.
© 2019 European Council on Foreign Relations. All rights reserved.